SWAN (System Wide Automated Network) has been serving Illinois libraries since 1974 and today has a membership of 78 libraries throughout the Chicagoland area. By consolidating services and collaborating together, the SWAN membership is able to promote:
- A shared online public access catalog with more than 8 million items available to patrons
- Centralized cataloging and software services that save library staff valuable time and money
- A unique collection of materials from public, college, and special libraries across Illinois
- 24/7 support to library staff—including IT, consulting, training, documentation, and tutorials
- Networking opportunities and knowledge/resource-sharing among the 2,000+ member library staff, as well as professional memberships to OCLC, COSUGI, and more
- Library accessibility through modern technology like Linked Data (making library catalog materials discoverable to the World Wide Web and search engines) and easy procurement of materials; patrons can receive a variety of alerts like email or SMS/text message notifications, in a variety of languages (English, Spanish, Polish, and more)
To introduce SWAN to your library patrons and members of your community, you can refer interested parties to the public-facing SWAN website: https://www.swanlibraries.net/.